Tuesday 18 October 2011

The Original Cover...

This is going to be a very un-characteristic post, as it's about something I detest, but in the detesting shines through something I love so maybe it's not so out of character!

Something I absolutely cannot stand is when books are re-released with a new cover. Abhor it, in fact. Hate. Loathe. All of the above. What is so wrong with the original cover??
I get it, I really do - it's a marketing thing. I understand marketing enough to know why they do it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. These covers are usually in conjunction with the release of the movie version. Also something VERY hated by yours truly.
What about those of us wanting to find the original version of a book, but instead can only find new cover copies? It is terribly confusing for those who know the title of a book but not the author and can remember what the original cover looks like, but... what's this?? I can't find anything that looks remotely like it??? (This is probably where I should mention that if any of you actually do this, then the bright idea would be to ask if they have it in stock... This does not mean, however, that you will be able to purchase the book with the original cover. Travesty..)
I also realise that there may be a few versions of a cover, but this is more likely in different countries. By original I mean, first copy released in Australia. Or wherever you are.

Below are a few of my favourite (most hated) examples of original vs new (faux, try-hard) covers...


A seriously incredible book. 

Not a terrible 'new' cover, but still not the original.

Dearest book to me in the world. 

Really can't stand this one. Is too 'modern'.

The original cover of this is very sentimental to me. 


There are so many versions of the new cover, so this is just one of my most hated.

Adore this cover, and this book.

As much as I love Rob, this cover is definitely not doing it for me. 


Just to name a few. A site that is pretty great for having the option of original and new is The Book Depository. They have an extensive selection and have free delivery worldwide. Very in love, plus, 9 times out of 10, I will be able to find my beloved original cover of my most favourite titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment